Statement of Faith
Preface: The Biblical Standards stated here are a basic set of doctrinal presuppositions Nexus Family Ministries operates from.
In the spirit of the understanding of our imperfections, we allow and encourage variations of understanding and disagreement and by no way claim we have full and complete biblical understanding. We are ecumenical in nature, but we are by no means "universalists", nor tolerate a "universalists" approach or teaching.
We do not require bible teachers to agree with each line and nuance of these Biblical Standards. However, we request a fundamental basic holding to these positions. If it is brought to the attention of Nexus leadership that one of the teacher's instruction varies outside of a reasonable tolerance of these statements, the situation may be addressed by the leadership of Nexus.
- The Bible is God’s Word. It is to be taken in context, it is accurate, authoritative and applicable to our everyday lives.
- There is one eternal God who is the Creator of all things. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God is totally loving and completely holy.
- God is totally and unquestionably sovereign over all things.
- We are bound to live an active, faithful Christian life.
- Through faith alone, Jesus Christ is the only One who can reconcile us to God. He lived a sinless and exemplary life, died on the cross in our place, and rose again.
- For believers, it is powerful, significant and the necessary to meet regularly for fellowship, prayer and the taking the Lord's Supper.
- God has individually equipped us so that we can successfully achieve His purpose for our lives which is to glorify and worship Him, fulfill our role in the Church, and serve the community in which we live.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is coming back again as He promised.
- Marriage is between man and woman. Fornication, adultery and homosexuality are forms of sexual immorality. One's own perceived "sexual orientation", or "gender preference" does not outweigh their God-created orientation or preference. This world is sadly and sinfully teaching that this abomination is a natural course of who we were born to be. With the Bible as our authority, we unapologetically reject the "world's" position. We do not reject the people who commit these sins, but reject their actions. In rejecting their actions, the person may have to be removed from the fellowship. With teaching, counseling, prayer and with confessed and demonstrated repentance, return will be considered.
- We understand that our biblical knowledge can be inaccurate, and fallible, but that the core mystery of the Gospel and the way of salvation has been made plain and understandable to him who "has an ear" and that God has revealed the mystery of the Gospel to us, sinners, through Christ and solely through Christ.
- We do not accept any claim of revelation or understanding through a single person, but use only the 66 books, traditionally known as the Bible, as the Word of God. That is not to say we necessarily accept or deny personal experiences and relationships with God, or that any other writing or book is false, but that no private revelation or other writings will be accepted or taught as the Word of God.
Where men are a part of the audience, biblical teaching and general leadership will be left with men. (I Tim 2:12)(1 Cor 14:34) For a women's Bible Study or for children younger than puberty years, women may lead it, ask prayer, etc. While this is particularly a sensitive topic in this culture, we hope that there is not a need to explain that it has nothing to do with the value, superiority or place of men or women in the Kingdom. For this is the end result: "there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal 3:28).